Grow your Capacity: Free Stock Photos, Free Writing Course for Activists and more
One of the ways APACC helps members build their organizational capacity is through a weekly post with useful information and skill-building opportunities. Check out this week’s post.
Local Events and Resources
Free Computer Basics Class
Tell your clients, family and friends about this 12-week class offered by Community Tech LLC. Participants will create a professional resume and apply for internships or jobs. All participants have the opportunity to receive their Microsoft Certification and/or IC3 Certification. Register May 2 from 1:00-3:00 pm at the kiosk located on 2101 Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave. SE.
The Congress Heights Community Training & Development Corporation (CHCTDC), Great Streets BLC, Destination Congress Heights MS program, and WACIF are leading a four-session speaker series on major DC small biz topics. The May 2 topic is Licensing & Certified Business Enterprises CBE Certification. Free.
Tools and Resources
- Check out this one, two punch. Pikwizard has beautiful free stock photos not found on other sites. And you can edit them using Design Wizard. Design Wizard has free and paid options.
- Social Media Examiner's How to Customize Your Instagram Story Highlights Cover is another step-by-step guide, this time for making the most of Instagram.
- Biteable makes another appearance here, this time with the addition of "colorful" scenes, corporate scenes, and business scenes. And yes, many in the last two are appropriate for community vids!
- More from Biteable: Setting Video Marketing Goals And Targets and Facebook Video Templates.
- Jeff Bezos Banned PowerPoint in Meetings. His Replacement Is Brilliant: Narrative memos have replaced PowerPoint presentations at Amazon. Here are 3 reasons why. Love or hate Bezos and Amazon, the idea is interesting and worth a try. (Inc.)
- Meg Wolitzer: How I Learned to Be a Mentor (and Find Mentors) Throughout My Career (Real Simple)
- These Are 4 Types Of Bosses You'll Have, And How To Deal With Them (Fast Company)
- 6 HR Execs on How Equal Pay Really Works (The Cut)
- America's 100 Most-Loved Novels Were Just Announced. Did Your Favorite Make the List?
- How to Think about Major Gifts, May 3: According to Nonprofit Hub, "In this webinar, you will learn about understanding the proper structure for a major gift, how to describe and understand the 7-Pillars of a successful major gift program and be able to assess your nonprofit's culture of philanthropy." Free.
- The New Language of Fundraising – The Magic Words that Translate into more Money, May 9: Join this webinar and learn a totally new way to think about fundraising. Free.
- Webinar: Reaching Young Voters, May 17: Participants in this Nonprofit Vote training will learn from Inspire U.S., Lead MN, and HeadCount how "they are reaching thousands of young people each year in high schools, community colleges, and concerts and the best practices you can apply to your own efforts." Free.
- Writing for Activists: A free virtual masterclass with Charlene Carruthers, May 2:
Storytelling is one of the most powerful tools we have. Right now, far too many of the stories about important social issues are being told by people who aren't on the ground.
With over 10 years as a community organizer and writer, what I know for sure is that incomplete stories lead to incomplete solutions. Our movements need more people telling stories in mainstream and independent media.
Lend your voice to the movement and join me for a masterclass on being a more effective writer and getting published.
This workshop is for activists and community organizers who want to tell more complete, honest and important stories.
Topics we'll explore:
Be sure to bring your pen and notebook because this is an interactive masterclass where you will leave with actionable information on: Why our stories matter, How to find and define your audience, Content development & research, and How to pitch to online publications.
- Brainstorming Is Worthless. Here’s What You Should Do Instead (Entrepreneur's Handbook)
- I doodled 17 things to be grateful for when I was sick and alone in a foreign country. And learned 3 things from doing so.
- Punishing Women for Being Smart (Inside Higher Ed)
- App Roundup: Services For Savvy Seniors (Wired)
- What Comey learned from theologian Reinhold Niebuhr about ethical leadership (The Conversation)
- The Bail Project: What if we ended the injustice of automatic jail time for those who can't afford bail? (Audacious Project)