Grow Your Capacity: Free Music (with a link), Bill Gates' Book Recs for Summer, and More
Local Events and Resources
APACC wants to hear from you about what information and skills you need. Please take this short anonymous survey so we know what you need to be and do better. We’ll do our best to find trainings, articles, courses, and the like to meet your needs.
Residents, apply for training to get certified and employed this summer, June 15: WKYS 93.9 FM and SOME’s Center for Employment Training (CET) are having an Application Day celebration Friday, June 15 from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm at SOME’s new building on Benning Rd NE. The event and training are FREE! Learn more and register.
Councilmember Gray’s Community Office Hours, June 1: Ward 7 CM Vince Gray will host his regular community office hours Friday, June 1 from 3:00-5:00 pm at the Department of Employment Services (4058 Minnesota Ave NE). Sign up to get a slot by contacting Latisha Atkins, 724-8068 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (Only Ward 7 residents or biz owners may participate.)
DC Water’s 4th Annual Critical Customer Briefing and Emergency Preparedness Exercise, May 31: The community is invited to attend and participate in this annual event whose goal is to bring together all parties involved with emergency preparedness (such as hospitals, military bases, multifamily dwellings) to discuss roles and responsibilities during a water or wastewater service emergency. This event will provide an opportunity to discuss response plans and identify gaps and shortcomings before an incident occurs. Reservations are required and space is limited.
Tools and Resources
- Get free music for a link from Icons8. Music is categorized three ways: theme, genre, and mood. Examples are fashion and nature (themes), acoustic and cinematic (genres), and dramatic and relaxed (moods). You get the picture.
- How to Fill a Column with Sequential Dates in Google Sheets. A life saver.
- Innovation Capacity Diagnostic for Nonprofits (mentioned in a FastCo article below).
- 30 Brand New Design Tools. You'll find another free stock photo site and two new icon sets.
- How To Fix The Nonprofit World's "Innovation-Aspiration" Problem (Fast Company)
- Why Great Employees Quit -- Instead Of Admitting They're Unhappy (Forbes)
- Why Fair Scheduling Laws Will Be The New Minimum Wage Battle (Fast Company)
- Word Limits, Page Limits, and my secret super power reminds me of a prep school teacher who, in response to the question "How long should the paper be?" said "Long if you don't have time, short if you do." That has served me well.
- Earned Income for Nonprofits: What it is and How it Works (Nonprofit Hub)
- Looking for webinars through the end of May? Here are some aggregated by Wild Apricot: Peer-to-Peer Fundraising When Disaster Strikes (May 24) and The Whys and Ways of Assertiveness at Work (May 31).
- How to Optimize Your Facebook Page Preview in the News Feed (SocialMedia Examiner)
- Public Webinar: How to Manage 501c3 and c4 Affiliated Projects and Coalitions, July 17: $35. (Alliance for Justice)
- Public Webinar: Recordkeeping and Reporting for 501(c)(3) Organizations that Lobby, September 25: $35. (Alliance for Justice)
- Designing for Online Engagement: How to Build Your Website with Brand Strategy, June 21: $49.
- When "Made In China" Means Sustainable, Ethical, And Expert (Fast Company)
- Community Colleges and how easy it is to make fun of someone else (Mistress of the Animals)
- 5 books worth reading this summer (Gates Notes)