One of the ways APACC helps members build their organizational capacity is through a weekly post with useful information and skill-building opportunities. Check out this week’s post.
Small Business Brief Advice Legal Clinic, Wednesday, May 23
Anacostia Economic Development Center and the DC Bar Pro Bono Center are offering this free legal clinic at the DHCD Housing Resource Center (1800 Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave SE). This clinic is for aspiring or existing small business owners. Attendees will meet one-on-one with attorneys for brief advice on any legal issues their businesses may be facing. Learn more and register.
Power Station, the podcast about nonprofits and change making
Anne Pasmanick, nonprofit alum and expert, created Power Station to chat with “nonprofit leaders about how they build community, advocate for policy change, and make an impact in overlooked and underinvested communities. Their stories and strategies don’t often make headlines but are often life changing. They may not be household names, but they probably should be.” She wants to hear from DC area nonprofit leaders “how a well-honed infrastructure builds community, supports policy advocacy, and makes a meaningful impact.” Recent guests include Gustavo Torres, executive director of Casa, and Joseph Leitman-Santa Cruz, Capital Area Asset Builders.
DREAM (Dreaming Out Loud’s Ready for Entrepreneurship Accelerator Modules) is accepting applications
DREAM is a four-month accelerator program for DC residents who run food and beverage businesses launching this June. Food entrepreneurs will join a community of local food entrepreneurs, business coaches, and industry experts to help take their businesses to the next level through a series of workshops and experiences tailored to the needs of their business. Applications are due May 22; apply now. For questions or more information, contact Myeasha Taylor, email@example.com.
Tools and Resources
- Need to share a generate a share-this-on Twitter/Facebook/Google+ link? Try Share Link Generator and SEO Century's Share Link Generator which can generate links for LinkedIn and Pinterst, too. Code Beautify's generator creates links for even more platforms (see image to the right).
- Did you know there are a bunch of ways to embed Tweets? Check out Twitter Publish.
- If you need to sign people up to volunteer or perform various tasks, try out VolunteerSignup and TimeToSignUp.
- TED Topics is a useful way to navigate this massive site. Scroll through the alphabetically arranged topics until you find one you like.
- The Business Case for Racial Equity: A Strategy for Growth (PDF) highlights
the business case for racial equity — stressing the importance of racial equity as both an imperative for social justice and a strategy for economic growth. As advancing racial equity requires the work of many stakeholders, they hope that the information in this report will be meaningful, useful, and actionable for leaders, change agents, and influencers in businesses, communities, and institutions around the country.
The bosses we remember:
1 provided safe space to grow
2 opened career doors
3 defended us when we needed it
4 recognized and rewarded us
5 developed us as leaders
6 inspired us to stretch higher
7 led by example
8 told us our worked mattered
9 forgave us when we made mistakes
— Farbod Saraf (@farbodsaraf) April 22, 2018
- Why Pay Managers So Well, Even If They Do a Poor Job? (The Real News)
- Black employees in the service industry pay an emotional tax at work (The Conversation)
- Against metrics: how measuring performance by numbers backfires
- There's lots to like in 54 Free Nonprofit Webinars for May 2018. Faves: Develop a Winning Nonprofit Culture with Minimal Resources (May 9); Fundraising 101: The Fundraising Cycle - What Is It, and How Do You Make It Work for Your Mission? (May 10); and Swiping Right: Courting New Constituents (May 15).
- Anchors in Resilient Communities: Hospitals Increasing Community Health, Wealth, and Resilience, May 17: Considers how food is integrated as a part of this notion of a community hub.
- WEBINAR: Who’s Leading the Leading Health Indicators? Oral Health, May 24: Participants will "learn about progress made toward achieving the Healthy People 2020 Oral Health Leading Health Indicator" and hear about the experience of a community implementing the multi-faceted program. Free.
- The article Tabasco Sauce Is in a Battle For Its Very Survival delivers much more than the title suggests. (Earther)
- Why Are Children and Grandchildren of Immigrants So Eager to Keep Immigrants Out?. Beautifully written.