The wait is almost over! On Friday, August 31 and Saturday, September 1, the National Park Service is hosting Anacostia Park’s Centennial Birthday Bash. During these last days of summer, celebrate your neighborhood national park as it turns 100 with events and activities for the whole family.
All activities are FREE and will be held at Anacostia Park Skating Pavilion, 1500 Anacostia Drive SE.
Friday, August 31 from 6:30 - 10:00 pm reminisce on Summer in the Parks during its 50th anniversary with an evening concert on the lawn featuring Go Go stars and headliner Chuck Brown Band. Enjoy music from opening acts Trouble Funk and Reminisce All Stars as the night is hosted by DJ EZ Street.
Saturday, September 1, head to the river during the Year of the Anacostia for all-day fun.
- 9:30 - 10:30 am: Yoga in the Park - Relax and be at peace during morning yoga lessons near the river.
- 10:00 am - Noon: River Rides - Enjoy boat tours that teach you the history and ecology of Anacostia Park and River.
- 10:30 am - 1:00 pm: Tales and Trails - Join a ranger-led bike tour and learn the entire history of the park from the prehistoric era to present day.
- Noon - 5:00 pm: Happy Birthday Anacostia Park - Enjoy family fun activities in the park including painting murals, live raptors, catch and release fishing lessons with a competition for biggest fish caught, photo booth stations, arts and crafts, bike repair pop up shop, photo exhibits, roller skating performances and much more!
- 5:00 - 8:00 pm: Disco Skate Party - Celebrate the centennial at a disco-themed party. Enjoy performances from skating groups, eat cake and sing happy birthday to your neighborhood national park.
For transportation and more event information visit go.nps.gov/AnacostiaPark. Text 100YEARS to 888777 for the latest updates and emergency alerts on the two-day event.